Sunday 23 May 2010

I'm worried about some ducks

I walked into Rothesay this morning, and in as I entered the town, I noticed a duck with a large brood of tiny ducklings crossing the road at a busy roundabout.
Once it was across the road, it wandered into a shop doorway, and then started to flap about on seeing its reflection in the glass.
At that moment a police van was passing, and alerted to the consternation, it stopped. The mother duck flew away from its brood, and the decided to fly away completely from the scene.
The police eventually started to put all the babies into a sack. Two escaped however, and ran into a pub. I followed and managed to catch one, and the police eventually got the other.
With still no sign of the mother, they took the brood down to the harbour and released them.
For ages I watched the ducklings swimming around squeaking in a high-pitched way. the last I saw of them, they were about 100 yards off shore... :-(